/ Homepage / Property History / The Ball Family
The Ball Family
Eden Valley Orchards rests on a former donation land claim in Jackson County, Oregon, that has been in cultivation since 1853. In those pioneer days of the Rogue River Valley, the parcel lay between two of the few established settlements, what would soon become known as Ashland Mills and Jacksonville. The original Donation Land Claim house on the 160-acre parcel was built in the late 1850s by Addison and Martha Justus Ball. In 1885, the same year the nearby town of Medford was incorporated, the land was purchased for $5,400 by Joseph H. Stewart, an enthusiastic fruit dealer from Chicago. Coincidentally, Peter Britt the vintner was a mortgage holder on this land in 1882.